Browse by Category
Browse by Date
- Not a "Good Fit"? What Does that Mean?
- Common Mistakes Made by Job Seekers
- Why job seekers should accept seasonal employment and/or volunteer work opportunities
- What can job seekers do to make a positive first impression?
- How can I avoid getting lost in the email resume shuffle, and make a personal connection to the hiring agent?
Starting your own business? Here are a few tips...
"I was recently laid off after 15 years with the same employer. I would like to use the skills I have acquired over the years to start my own business. What steps can I take to ensure that I am successful in this new endeavor?"
From Amanda Haddaway, Managing Director, HRAnswerbox:
Congratulations on taking the first steps to entrepreneurship! I'd recommend that you spend some time mapping out the products and services you could offer and how you would make money from those offerings. Think about your ideal customers and how you will market your products and services to close sales with those people. You'll also need to take a hard look at what expenses you would have over the first year. I would advise pricing out everything you can think of and then adding a little extra to have a buffer.
There are local resources to help guide and advise you. Frederick is home to a SCORE chapter and a Small Business Development Center. The SBDC offers classes regularly at Workforce Services, so check out their upcoming schedule on the Events page at FrederickWORKS.com.